The OF Blog: Dead zone

Monday, January 05, 2009

Dead zone

Looks like it might be an "interesting times" sort of situation developing for this month. Ever had a ton of new books to read, many of them bought within the past couple of months, only to find that suddenly there is no energy to read anything?

Ever done something as simple as walking and felt the Rice Krispies' snap, crackle, pop?

Well, I had already set up a consultation with a local orthopedic surgeon about my left knee, which I first hurt 19 years ago playing soccer, but just walking up the steps earlier tonight...I believe I somehow managed to strain my right groin.

Oh, and first day back with the students is tomorrow. Yes, this year certainly is off to an "interesting" start, no?

4 comments:

SQT said...

I always feel that way when it comes to reading. Just plain overwhelmed most of the time.

The knee thing too. I've been a runner for years and my knees just can't take the punishment anymore. I'm not at the surgery point (hopefully won't be anytime soon) but oh boy, do they crackle. Nonstop. I hope your knee problems are temporary and not too serious.

Oh, I just started "Shadow of the Wind"-- I'm about 150 pages in. Now that's a book that's not hard to get into.

Larry Nolen said...

The only question about my left knee is what type of surgery it'll involve. With luck, it'll be only a meniscus cleanup, but I fear there might be complications from a malformed kneecap and from possible MCL damage. The entire joint alternates between hurting a lot to being very numb, and I know there are cartilage particles that get jammed on occasion. With any luck, I'll be able to wait until spring break (late March) before having the surgery, although I'm not ruling out having it in early February (consultation is on the 20th, with a likely MRI then or within a week or so).

As for the Zafón, I have glanced at El Juego del Ángel and I may start re-reading it soon, but I just can't seem to find the desire to do anything but lay in bed. Naturally, I have to be up in 5 hours...

ediFanoB said...

First of all I hope your knee gets well soon.

"Shadow of the Wind" is a great book.

Mihai A. said...

Sorry about your knee. Well, after playing soccer I sometimes feel a damned back pain. And then, if I'm not in the mood for reading I watch a movie ;)
Get well soon :)

 
Add to Technorati Favorites