The OF Blog: Southern Festival of Books

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Southern Festival of Books

Despite living in the outer western suburbs of Nashville for most of my life, I have never attended the Southern Festival of Books, despite being told by my sister and others that I would love this free, three-day event.  Since I have a couple of vacation days built in and don't have the budget for major travel, I'm strongly considering attending this festival.

The author list is impressive.  Of particular interest are Chad Harbach (The Art of Fielding, which I'm currently reading), Erin Morgenstern (Night Circus, also a current read), Justin Torres (We the Animals, which was excellent), Donald Ray Pollock (The Devil All the Time, which I reviewed last month), Stewart O'Nan (several books I've been meaning to read and one that I enjoyed), Tom Perrotta (The Leftovers, which I enjoyed when it came out last month), and Kevin Wilson (The Family Fang, which I also reviewed this summer).  Doubtless, there will be several more authors to discover.

I noticed there was a place where I could, as a blogger, contact event staff about arranging one or more interviews, but I am probably not going to do this, mostly because I'm not 100% certain I can get off work enough to prepare to do any sort of interview (I'm somewhat meticulous in my approach to interviewing and if I have to record it, something I've never done to date, then it'd involve some purchases of recording material and more pre-prep) the justice I'd like for such to have.  So I'll go as a fan for at least this year and take in the vibe.  Festivals such as this appeal to me on a conceptual level than do conventions, mostly because it seems the books and authors are more on display than are fans who get together to weigh in on matters.  I think it's because I want to be left free to discover things than to be corralled into pontificating on the state of some literary genre or another.

What about you?  Any of you close enough to consider going?  If you are too far away, would the festival's concept and author lineup appeal to you?  Are there other authors on that list that I might need to explore before October 14?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely read more Stewart O'Nan.

"A Prayer for the Dying" and "Night Country" are fine, fine novels.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites