The OF Blog: More cover art to delight and fright you

Thursday, January 19, 2012

More cover art to delight and fright you

Here are some books that I have bought or received over the past half-week. Some have excellent cover art, while others are trashy. Which ones do you like and which do you disdain?

The Persian edition of Sadegh Hedayat's The Blind Owl and a bilingual Arabic/English edition of Adonis' collection.

Two new books.  The first is an Edgar Rice Burroughs anthology and the other is Saladin Ahmed's debut novel.

New Mark Hodder and a reprint by Tachyon of a 2009 de Lint novel.

Ben Marcus' just released novel and a famous book by the 1951 Nobel Literature laureate.

Two French editions of Sartre and Molière.

There's a couple of jokes can could be made here.  Make them.

ARC cover for the new Kress and a really crappy cover for Tolkien's poem translations.

Very 70s to me.

Also a 70s cover, but uh...

Finally got my hands on a print edition of The Weird

Recognize the translator?

4 comments:

Miguel said...

The Blind Owl has a great cover. So does Ben Marcus' novel. Thanks for posting this.

Are you familiar with the blog

http://ajourneyroundmyskull.blogspot.com/

I think you'd like it.

Larry Nolen said...

You're welcome. And no, I hadn't heard of that blog, but yes, that site contains some lovely/weird images :D

Bibliotropic said...

I've heard a lot of amazing things about Ahmed's "Throne of the Crescent Moon" lately, so much so that I really want to scrape the cash together to be able to buy it! It sounds like it'd be a really good read.

And I admit to some envy over your copy of "The Weird." That one caught my eye when I first heard about it some months ago, and is another one that's on my wishlist.

But wow, yeah, is that ever a crappy cover on the Tolkien!

Larry Nolen said...

I'll be reviewing his book around the end of the month, but until then, I'll keep my opinions to myself (I've only read the first couple of chapters, as I have other works that have to be read and reviewed this week and next).

As for The Weird, I got the copy because I was a contributor, but I also have it as an e-book, so I can already say with confidence that it's a great anthology despite my presence fouling things up! :P

If I have the chance, I might review the Tolkien, but it'll be a while.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites