The OF Blog: After being laid up these past few days, time to lay out plans for the final two weeks of 2012 posts here

Monday, December 17, 2012

After being laid up these past few days, time to lay out plans for the final two weeks of 2012 posts here

Sorry I've been mostly quiet these past few days.  Was subbing quite a bit last week, then I came down with a moderate case of bronchitis this weekend.  Got a steroid shot this morning and some other meds and feel much better already, enough to begin laying out plans for now through the end of the year.

I have a few reviews that I would like to write, books and cinema alike, before Christmas.  These are the reviews.  One and perhaps two of these will be written today:

The Hobbit (film)
Nick Mamatas, Bullettime
Goran Petrović, An Atlas Traced by the Sky
The Rabbi's Cat (film; US wide release in January – I received a screener DVD from people associated with the film)
Peter Heller, The Dog Stars
Nir Yaniv, The Love Machine & Other Contraptions
Kelly Barnhill, Iron Hearted Violet
Mark Helprin, In Sunlight and in Shadow

I may in addition be able to work in reviews of Sherman Alexie's Blasphemy, Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Feel Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There and Felix Gilman's The Rise of Ransom City, but these will depend on how much time I have for reading in the next few days.

After Christmas, I plan on writing a series of posts summing up notable 2012 releases of works in translation, works not yet available in English translation, speculative fiction, realist fiction, and perhaps collections, anthologies, and/or poetry collections.  I may in the next few days compromise a list of notable 2012 releases from all of these various forms and genres for those who might want a more personalized version of a periodical's Best of 2012, something with say 50 works from 2012, from which on the 31st I would post a Top 20-25 for 2012.

1 comment:

Juan Pazos Amboage said...

Really interested in your opinion on the Hobbit film. I actually liked it a lot, probably because I was sure it would be very boring and it's not (most of the time).

 
Add to Technorati Favorites